Mechanical Design Engineer
Salary £33,297 - £45,048 dependent upon qualifications and experience
Full time or part time considered
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
Diamond is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the UK at the forefront of scientific research.
About The Role
We now have several opportunities for experienced Mechanical Design Engineers to join our Engineering team in the development of innovative equipment that enables world class scientific research to take place at Diamond.
The Engineering team plays a key role in the design, development and construction of the Accelerators and Beamlines that generate and transport light to the scientific samples. Our systems fundamentally consist of Ultra High Vacuum vessels and water cooled heat exchanging elements which require micron, multi-axis, precision motion and alignment systems.
Responsibilities will include:
· Working closely with internal and external scientific and engineering staff to produce mechanical designs for projects.
· Developing and applying expertise in technologies including ultra high vacuum systems, stable support structures, precision mechanisms, cryogenics and the general design of scientific equipment and plant.
· Producing concept designs, layouts, assembly drawings and detailed manufacturing drawings employing AutoCAD and Pro-Engineer software.
· Carrying out calculations and FEA.
· Procurement of equipment.
· Supervision of internal and contract design staff and control of quality.
· Contributing to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises.
· Maintaining and updating engineering drawings and documentations on projects.
Occasional travel will be required.
Suitable candidates will be qualified to degree level in Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics, or demonstrate significant equivalent experience. Further relevant qualifications, such as an IMechE accredited masters degree, are desirable, as is membership of a relevant professional body.
You will have a strong background in mechanical engineering with excellent working knowledge of engineering drawings, along with experience in designing complex mechanisms and structures ranging from small devices with nanometre resolution to much larger fabricated structures.
You will also demonstrate skills and experience in some of the following areas:
· 3D and 2D CAD particularly CREO and AUTOCAD;
· Design of precision mechanisms;
· Design of Ultra High Vacuum vessels;
· Design of water cooled high heat flux components;
· Design for and Use of Additive manufacturing;
· Design of high stiffness low vibration structures;
· Use of novel materials.
You will demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact with scientists, fellow engineers and stakeholders.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to ensure an excellent work/life balance including 25 days’ annual leave, plus 13 days statutory and company holidays, flexible working hours, an onsite nursery, an excellent pension scheme, and social and sporting activities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Applicants are required to outline their suitability for this role via the online application process. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
The initial closing date for applications is 23rd of January 2022, however applications will be reviewed and interviewed on an ongoing basis until these vacancies are filled.