RAL Space: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire
Salary: £31,931 to £44,166 (plus role-based allowance of up to £3,000)
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full-Time/Part time (min 26 hours per week)
RAL Space is one of the largest interdisciplinary space departments in Europe, having a consistent track record contributing to more than 200 instruments in space. The department works throughout the lifecycle of space missions - from leading concept studies for future missions, developing bespoke scientific instrumentation, providing space test and ground-based facilities, operating ground-stations, and to processing and analysing data.
As an Electronics Design Engineer you will work alongside over 40 other staff in the Imaging Systems Division who have skills including electronics and optical engineering, quantum science, embedded software and project management.
Responsibilities for both Band D and Band E roles will be
- Analogue and digital circuit design
- PCB layout of complex multilayer boards
- Leading the functional testing of assembled boards
- VHDL design work
At Band E you will also:
- Play a leading role in project teams, with coordination between different disciplines
- Provide technical support and advice to other specialists in the division
- Take a lead role in design reviews
Other Relevant Information
In the course of this role there will be some travel within the UK and overseas where government regulation allows. You will also be required to work in a cleanroom environment.
We believe the post will provide an excellent opportunity for extensive specialist training and development, covering both technical aspects of the role and wider development of people and project management skills. STFC can also offer support with professional development by assisting with membership subscriptions, including the IET or equivalent institutions.
The following criteria will be assessed at Shortlisting (S), Interview (I) or both (S&I)
Essential criteria for both Band D/E roles:
- A degree in electronic engineering or closely related subject or equivalent experience (S)
- Analogue electronic design experience (S&I)
- Digital design experience including knowledge of VHDL and/or Verilog (S&I)
- Experience of PCB layout (S&I)
- Prior use of electronics CAD and modelling tools, especially schematic capture and circuit simulation (S&I)
- Demonstrable practical skills such as verification and testing of PCBs and components (S&I)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (S&I)
Additional essential criteria for Band E:
- Advanced analogue and digital electronic design experience (S&I)
- Knowledge of advanced PCB layout design techniques, especially of complex, multi-layered boards. (S&I)
Desirable criteria for both Band D/E roles:
- Knowledge of electronic system requirements for space applications (S&I)
- Experience using higher-level software programming languages or applications (e.g. C/C++, LabVIEW) (S&I)
- Experience of FMEA, reliability, parts stress and worst-case analyses (S&I)
Additional desirable criteria for Band E roles:
- Project management skills / qualification (S&I)
- Proven people management experience (S&I)
What we offer
STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, exceptional pension scheme, social and sporting activities and societies, a subsidised restaurant and good public transport links.
To find out more about this role and information on how to apply:
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please visit our job board.
The closing date for applications is 23rd January 2022