Electrical Design Engineer
Salary £33,963 - £39,955 dependent upon skills and experience
Full time / Flexible hours
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Engineering at Diamond enables our scientists to use synchrotron light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
At Diamond we are currently planning a major upgrade of the facility, known as Diamond-II. Diamond-II will combine a new machine and new beamlines with a comprehensive series of upgrades to optics, detectors, sample environments, sample delivery capabilities and computing, which will ultimately generate an even more brilliant light source at a higher energy.
About the Role
We now have several opportunities for talented Electrical Design Engineers to join our Engineering team to provide electrical engineering design support to the technical systems of the Diamond facility, and to contribute to the Diamond-II upgrade project.
The Engineering team plays a key role in the design, development and construction of the Accelerators and Beamlines that generate and transport light to the scientific samples.
The role is responsible for:
- Working with internal and external scientific and engineering colleagues to produce electrical systems designs for a variety of projects including precision positioning controls for optical systems, vacuum control systems, machinery controls, safety circuits and LV systems.
- Developing and applying expertise in technologies such as programmable logic controllers, motion controls, distributed I/O, instrumentation and pneumatic controls.
- Use of electrical CAD software and AutoCAD to produce schematics, hook-ups and other electrical design documentation.
- Producing high quality detailed electrical drawings.
- Contributing to design reviews and system verification and validation.
- Maintaining and updating engineering drawings and documentation on projects.
Suitable candidates should be qualified to at least HND level or equivalent in Electrical Engineering or a similar relevant discipline, with degree level qualifications desirable.
You will be a talented Electrical Engineer, with experience in the design, manufacture, assembly, testing and commissioning of electrical systems working within a QA environment.
You will demonstrate understanding of electrical designs for control and automation systems and, with good working knowledge of AutoCAD and an electrical CAD system.
You will also demonstrate design ability in at least one of the following areas:
- Electrical Rack design.
- Precision motion control systems using stepper, servo, DC motors and piezo actuators.
- Vacuum control systems.
- Safety circuits for personnel and machinery.
- Low Voltage systems.
- Programmable logic controllers.
- Distributed I/O.
- Pneumatic control systems.
- Robotic systems
You will display excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively within a team.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
Diamond is a thriving international organisation, attracting a diverse range of talented individuals from around the world. Our staff currently comprises 39 nationalities and we welcome applications from everyone interested in joining us.
The initial closing date for applications is 23rd of January 2022, however applications will be reviewed and interviewed on an ongoing basis until these vacancies are filled.