ISIS Experimental Operations Division is looking for a (Senior) Mechanical Technician. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a unique environment alongside cutting edge science, ideal for those interested in pursuing a career within engineering or the research and development industry.
As a Mechanical Technician, your duties will include:
- Assembling mechanical systems to engineering drawings.
- Installing mechanical systems and assemblies on beamlines and instruments in a scientific environment.
- The maintenance and repair of these installed systems. Including hydraulics, pneumatics and mechatronics
- To produce high quality machining work (including turning and milling) to close tolerances working to sketches, engineering drawings and verbal instructions as appropriate.
- Work with engineers, scientists and visiting users of our facility on finding solutions to mechanical challenges and problems.
- Work safely and ensure the safety of others in a Scientific and Engineering environment.
If you are appointed at Senior Mechanical Technician level, you will be responsible for the following in addition to the above duties:
- Provide technical leadership in a specific technical area relevant to ISIS
- Provide any necessary management and supervision of contract staff
- Provide any necessary line management to mechanical technicians
- Carry out training and mentoring of less experienced staff and in appropriate fitting, machining, and manufacturing techniques
- Assist in the planning of maintenance and shutdown activities
- Assemble complex mechanical systems to engineering drawings
- Install mechanical systems and assemblies on beamlines and instruments in a scientific environment
- Carry out the maintenance and repair of installed systems, including hydraulics, pneumatics, and mechatronics
- Work with engineers, scientists, and visiting users of our facility on finding solutions to mechanical challenges and problems
- Work safely and ensure the safety of others in a scientific and engineering environment.
Please follow the link to our job board for a full job spec.
To be successful in this role you will have completed a Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship with NVQ level 3 or will have similar relevant experience.
You’ll have a sound understanding of mechanical engineering principles and a good understanding of engineering maintenance practices. CAD experience would be beneficial but is not essential.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest multi-disciplinary research organizations. ISIS Neutron and Muon Source is based at the STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire. We are a world-leading center for research in the physical and life sciences.
STFC’s ISIS Neutron and Muon facility is a leading center of material science excellence. The facility performs innovative research into the structure and properties of materials at an atomic and molecular level. It is the most productive research center of its type in the world. Each year we welcome around 2000 visiting scientists who complete over 1000 experiments.
ISIS operates four 50-day cycles per year. During these cycles, ISIS operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so some overtime is required for this post and in addition, on-call is required for this role.
What we offer
In addition to the competitive salary, an excellent index linked pension scheme and generous leave allowance are offered. Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages.
Training and development will also be available as well as opportunities to travel whilst you work at STFC.
The closing date for applications is 31st October 2021.