This role is part of the User Office and Facilities Team who provide first point of contact, and ongoing support to users, to enable and deliver the internationally competitive science being undertaken at the Research Complex at Harwell (RCaH). It provides high level, day-to-day support, ensuring that the administrative needs of RCaH users are delivered, whilst working with partners across RCaH to understand and deliver user support for the needs of our research.
- The collection washing and restocking of glassware from various laboratories on the ground and first floors.
- Carrying out sterilization processes using autoclaves.
- Biohazard waste sterilization and disposal.
- Preparing media for use in scientific laboratories.
- Aseptic dispensing of buffers and media.
- Monitoring media stocks and the stock levels of some laboratory consumables (gloves, tips, tissues, autoclave bags, etc) to ensure adequate supplies are available and replenished as required.
- Cleaning of equipment (e.g. water baths and incubators) to maintain high levels of operational cleanliness.
- Organising the laboratory coat collection for laundry and the distribution of clean laboratory coats.
- Help with weekly liquid nitrogen fills of two laboratory instruments.
- The applicant will have responsibility for supporting a designated area of the Research Complex, assisting the Technician and Senior Technician.
- Supporting the Technicians and Senior Technicians in ensuring the Research Complex is a safe and well maintained facility
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
- Educated to A-level or equivalent
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
Previous work experience required:
- Experience of working in a laboratory is not required, but an interest and passion for science is essential
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment
Knowledge and experience:
- Be able to learn in the role, with a practical approach to complex physical tasks
- Experience of undertaking practical activities in a laboratory environment in support of scientific research.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively within a team.
- Good communication skills (oral and written) and able to deal effectively with people at all levels.
- Ability to deliver to manage a varied workload and prioritise effectively, dealing with conflicting demands.
- Ability to work under own initiative and to proactively manage own time.
- Ability to overcome challenges and solve problems in a logical way.
- Good attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to adapt to new systems and processes and modify procedures in response to changing work needs.