The Composites and Materials Testing group develops materials and produces key parts for STFC’s varied scientific projects, particularly for the ISIS neutron source.
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Salary: £25,702 - £27,938 (Band C) or £31,931 - £34,709 (Band D) per annum, plus annual role-based allowance of £2,000
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Open Ended
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Oxfordshire
Closing Date: 16th May 2021
The Composites and Materials Testing group develops materials and produces key parts for STFC’s varied scientific projects, particularly for the ISIS neutron source. We also have customers worldwide including CERN, ITER, ESS and ESA. Applications include the world’s largest physics experiments, space probes and satellites. We have well-equipped labs to manufacture composite parts using our own custom-made formulations. We have a strong safety culture, which the successful applicant will be expected to embrace.
· To carry out manufacturing with composite materials
· Preparation and bonding of parts
· Design and manufacture of jigs and fixtures (such as simple moulds) to enable rapid turnaround of jobs
· Vacuum resin transfer moulding
· Use of Microsoft Office software
· Performing trials on new formulations and processes
· Successful candidates will be expected to liaise effectively with engineers and scientists from all parts of the organisation - taking concept designs through to manufacture
· To proactively engage with the group’s regular safety meetings.
The below criteria will be assessed at Shortlisting (S), Interview (I) or both (S&I)
Knowledge and experience
Essential for both bands:
· Certified Mechanical Apprenticeship or evidence of significant relevant work experience (S)
· Able to work safely in a laboratory environment (S&I)
· Calm and proactive approach to work and problem-solving (S&I)
· Work well as a member of a team with minimal supervision (S&I)
· Willing to work with hazardous materials (including epoxy materials that can be sensitisers) (S&I)
· GCSEs at Grade C and above (or equivalent) in Maths, English, and a science (S)
· Good safety awareness (S&I)
· Computer literate (familiar with using MS Office to write reports and procedures, and to create and manipulate XY charts for example) (Quality of cover letter may be used) (S&I)
· History of practical work and finishing projects (S&I)
· Interest in materials science. (S&I)
Essential for band D:
· Experience of toolmaking (S&I)
· Working knowledge of risk assessments and COSHH (S&I)
· Working knowledge of vacuum systems (S&I)
· Experience of manufacturing from composite materials (S&I)
· Evidence of good quality written work (S&I)
· Innovative approach to work (S&I)
· Experience of electrical control and data logging systems. (S&I)
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation where curiosity-driven, blue-skies thinking meets practical, application-led science and engineering. Our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
One of Europe’s largest research organisations, we’re trusted to support, enable and undertake cutting-edge projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, engineering, computing and technology. Our research seeks to understand the Universe from the largest astronomical scales to the tiniest constituents of matter, yet creates impact on a very tangible, human scale.
For more information about STFC please visit https://stfc.ukri.org/
You can also visit our careers site https://www.stfccareers.co.uk/
How to Apply
Online applications only preferred for this role. Please submit your CV and a covering letter which clearly outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation to join STFC and the role you’re applying for. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Note that failure to address the above criteria or submit your application without a covering letter may result in your application not being considered. You will only be assessed on the content of your CV and covering letter and not the ‘experience’ section of the application.