We currently have a fantastic opportunity for a mechanical engineer to manage the development of engineering concepts from design to testing within on our ISIS Muon and Neutron Source facility! This role will involve working with a wide range of technologies, from radio frequency cavities and magnetic components, through to materials used in extreme environments.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe's largest multi-disciplinary research organisations. Owned and operated by STFC, the ISIS Neutron and Muon Source is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. Through the use of a proton accelerator and a high power target facility, we have the ability to produce beams of neutrons and muons that allow scientists to study materials at the atomic level using a suite of instruments, often described as ‘super-microscopes’.
Joining us a mechanical engineer, your main responsibilities will include:
- Develop engineering ideas for complex mechanical engineering components from concept through design, procurement, commissioning and testing and final reporting.
- Carry out appropriate engineering calculations and simulations to ensure the development brief is met.
- Prepare work instructions for staff carrying out development and test programmes.
We are looking for someone with:
- A suitable engineering qualification, or equivalent, with experience in a mechanical design environment.
- A good understanding of fundamental mechanical engineering principles.
- Experience in performing engineering calculations and simulations.
- Experience of developing and carrying out test programmes to prove new designs.
Our employees are integral to our organisation, so we have put benefits in place to ensure people feel valued and supported during their employment with us. Alongside flexible working arrangements and a generous annual leave allowance, we offer all of our employees access to excellent learning and development courses, a defined pension scheme and a 24/7 employee assistance programme. We are keen to support our teams in the best way we can, so we have many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance.
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
Closing Date: 6th August 2021.