We have an opportunity for you to join us as a Systems Support Engineer in the IT Services Division of the BioComputing Group at MRC Harwell on a 12 months fixed term contract. This is an exciting opportunity to demonstrate a broad range of technical skills and IT domains within a supportive and collaborative Informatics department.
MRC Harwell Institute is an international biological research centre at the forefront of the use of mammalian models to study genetics and human diseases. Located on the Harwell Campus, just south of Oxford, it is nestled amongst a vibrant community of leading science organisations. We aim to advance medicine through cutting-edge research into the genetic basis of disease. Our research programmes span an entire lifetime, from embryonic development to diseases of ageing. There are over 300 staff at the Institute made up of research scientists, technicians, animal carers, and business support personnel.
We are responsible for managing and maintaining a modern and robust IT Infrastructure, across a wide range of platforms and devices. We provide support to over 700 computers serving 260 staff within a secure, resilient high-performance network. We maintain and support over 130 physical and virtual servers (Windows, Linux, VMWare), with an onsite purpose-built data centre at the heart of our infrastructure. We have over 900 TB of disk storage, plus a secondary server room with replication, disaster recovery and back-up.
The successful candidate will have experience in server administration, alongside competency in network administration and large-scale storage solutions. We require an excellent team player who is self-motivated and willing to learn with training opportunities. They will provide support to the Transition Project which is leading the change in some areas of our business.
Main duties / key responsibilities:
- Daily management and monitoring of our IT infrastructure, ensuring maximum system availability
- Server administration, scheduled patching, support and monitoring; in both physical and virtual (VMware) environments - Windows and Linux
- Support and management of our Compellent data storage infrastructure
- Network management and troubleshooting, ensuring efficient and resilient data transfer and routing
- Management of the Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange hybrid infrastructure
- Manage and support MRC Harwell’s Microsoft Active Directory Domain.
- Ensure data security, continuity and integrity with various strategies and technologies (Snapshots, replication, disk backup, tape backup, archiving)
- Audit and maintain security in line with Cyber Essentials
- Ensure our adherence to MRC and UKRI IT policies
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
- University degree or HND (or equivalent) in Engineering, IT or any other technical discipline
Previous work experience required:
- Demonstrable experience in a similar IT support environment
Knowledge and experience:
- Networking administration and troubleshooting
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- VMware hosts, virtual servers and associated infrastructure
- Managing a Windows Active Directory Domain
- Administration and management of Windows server and desktop environments
- IT Security knowledge
- Administration and management of Linux server environments
- Experienced in the administration and back up of a large storage solution
- Effective communication skills are essential, both written and verbal
- A pro-active, self-motivating attitude to project delivery
- An ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- An excellent team player with the ability to prioritise effectively
- Willingness to take ownership of a task through to a successful delivery
- Ability to create concise and effective documentation
- Ability to liaise with both 3rd party solution providers
- Proven troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme