The MRC Harwell Institute is seeking an IT Support Technician to join the IT Services Team within the BioComputing Group on a 12 months fixed term contract.
About MRC Harwell:
MRC Harwell Institute is an international biological research centre at the forefront of the use of mammalian models to study genetics and human diseases. Located on the Harwell Campus, just south of Oxford, it is nestled amongst a vibrant community of leading science organisations. We aim to advance medicine through cutting-edge research into the genetic basis of disease. Our research programmes span an entire lifetime, from embryonic development to diseases of ageing. There are over 300 staff at the Institute made up of research scientists, technicians, animal carers, and business support personnel.
As part of the team, you will provide our end users with technical support and troubleshooting services across a wide range of computer hardware and software systems. You will be vital to the organisation in facilitating the scientific, technical and administrative work undertaken within the Institute.
The successful candidate will be capable of taking ownership of individual requests, pursuing them to completion.
We require an excellent team player with a proactive attitude, who is enthusiastic and has an aptitude for learning.
This is an exciting opportunity to gain experience across a broad range of skills and domains in a collaborative and friendly environment. We provide training and one to one shadowing as required.
The site is a networked environment comprised of over 700 computers, (predominantly Windows but with a significant number of Mac’s).
System Engineers work closely with IT Support technicians, in an environment with over 150 physical and virtual servers, (Windows, Linux and VMWare).
A purpose-built data centre is at the heart of our infrastructure, with a fully meshed network and over a petabyte of disk storage in a tiered system.
We support a hybrid Microsoft Office 365 environment, utilise an endpoint systems management application and continue to improve our processes with the use of PowerShell.
This post is an excellent opportunity to progress your career and gain a wealth of skills, experience and knowledge.
Main duties / key responsibilities:
- Provide frontline IT technical support, either remotely or at the physical location
- Take ownership of tasks generated through the helpdesk system, pursuing them to completion
- Install, diagnose, repair, maintain, and upgrade hardware and software systems
- Maintain optimal workstation performance across site via proactive strategies
- Follow and contribute to standard processes and local team policies
- Undertake auditing of software and hardware
- Create new user accounts and archive old user accounts in accordance with local policy
- Specify, procure, configure and deploy new computers and devices
- Undertake general troubleshooting and investigative work
- Provide user training and support of basic computer and application use
- Contribute ideas for streamlining and improving team processes
- Provide support to scientific, technical and administrative users across site
- Work closely with the Systems Engineering team
- Collaborate with other BioComputing staff across a large department
- Report to the Head of Infrastructural IT
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
- Degree/HND or equivalent in a relevant subject, or demonstrable significant IT support technician work experience.
- ITIL Qualified
- Windows 10 MCSA
Previous work experience required:
- Experience supporting Windows OS and Mac OSX
- Experience supporting MS O365
- Experience setting up new workstations, laptops, tablets and phones
Knowledge and experience:
- A good understanding of Microsoft applications
- Strong Knowledge of Windows OS
- Understanding of MS Office 365 support and administration
- Windows server knowledge
- Active directory knowledge
- Macintosh OS knowledge
- Excellent communication and organisation skills
- Enthusiasm and capability to learn
- A proactive, self-motivating attitude to project delivery
- An ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- An ability to create concise and effective documentation
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks accordingly
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UKRI) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme