We are now seeking a Business Incubation Manager for the European Space Agency Business Incubation Centre United Kingdom (ESA BIC UK) – If you’re an individual with excellent organisation skills, a drive for team building and an ability to communicate effectively and build strong relationships with a range of different stakeholders then this may be the role for you.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) delivers business incubation through a coordinated programme of initiatives covering a broad variety of science and technology sectors. The European Space Agency Business Incubation Centre United Kingdom (ESA BIC UK) has a more than ten-year track record of success in developing high-technology business. It is an exciting initiative which is at the core of STFC’s incubation programme. Please visit our job board for more information on ESA BIC UK.
About the role
Within this role, you would lead the delivery of the ESA BIC UK at the Harwell location and provide overall management coordination of the ESA BIC UK programme across 4 locations, working with the project leads at Daresbury, Royal Observatory Edinburgh and University of Leicester. The role is based in the Atlas Building at the heart of the Harwell Campus Space Cluster.
You would also be responsible for sustaining and growing the incubation programme, promoting the benefits, attracting new organisations, reporting success and regularly updating key stakeholders on progress. A key part of the job will be to manage and develop good working relationships with key stakeholders, notably ESA and the UK Space Agency.
Key functions include:
- Ensuring that there is a flow of high-quality applications (deal-flow) to a triannual ESA BIC Tender Evaluation Board;
- Supporting the incubation companies in the 4 locations, to ensure they maximise their exploitation of the ESA BIC opportunity;
- Promoting the ESA BIC companies, recording their progress, assessing the impact to the UK Space economy and submitting regular reports and returns to ESA;
- Fulfilling the contractual obligations set by ESA for the ESA BIC UK and ensuring the smooth running of relationships with key stakeholders. This includes developing and shaping future contracts, the management of Contract Change Notices with ESA and other key stakeholders, most notably the UK Space Agency;
- Provide day-to-day management of 2 members of staff that will support your aims and objectives. Work closely with STFC staff that are able to help and support the ESA BIC activities, such as the running of network events;
- Manage a contract that provides training for ESA BIC incubation companies;
- There will be a need to travel within Great Britain and occasionally overseas – primarily to the Netherlands.
To be successful in this role, you’ll have strong organisational skills and an ability to set priorities. You will also have experience as a leader/team building with solid communication skills, both verbal and written.
Part of this role will require an ability to understand basic STEM subjects. You will have a STEM first degree (BA/BSc) and a willingness to learn about new technologies.
Although not essential, it would be advantageous to have experience in working with or within small/medium enterprises, university spin-outs or a space industry.
Experience of contract negotiation, managing a budget, project management skills, writing case studies and development of PR material would be advantageous.
What we offer
Choosing to come to work at UKRI means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits including a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please visit our job board.