The Rosalind Franklin Institute is a new national Research Centre, funded by the UK government through UK Research and Innovation, dedicated to bringing about transformative changes in life science through interdisciplinary research and technology. The Franklin is in the process of completing its establishment phase and gearing up for expansion so this role joins at an exciting time for the Institute. We will be taking occupancy of a new purpose built facility at the Harwell campus in spring 2021.
This is a challenging and varied role, with a high level of autonomy. The individual will take ownership of the full range of IT operations, whether they are delivered in-house or through third parties. Working as part of the Operations team and responsible for developing and delivery of the technology strategy and its operational application. Providing technology related expertise to ensure that both the strategic and operational objectives are delivered.
In return, we offer a dynamic, challenging and rewarding environment with significant opportunity for personal growth and development.
Your responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
1. Strategy & Architecture
a. Develop, implement and manage the core IT architecture that supports the strategic goals of the Franklin in a timely, secure and cost-effective manner. Use of recognised frameworks (e.g. COBIT, ITIL)
b. Devise and refine IT policies and systems to support company and departmental strategies
c. Identify operational efficiencies and new technologies that will support business growth
d. Establish organisation’s approach to software use: buy vs build. Decision should take into account design, testing, security, maintenance and ongoing support considerations.
e. Oversee organisation-wide requirements for data analysis and reporting
2. Business Systems and Processes
a. Work with colleagues in process mapping and make recommendations on re-engineering priorities to facilitate automation and process optimization.
b. Working with the department heads to define the functional specifications that support the Institute’s goals and turn them into technical specifications for IT requirements (systems, hardware, software).
c. Knowledge management: use of IT to capture, analyse and share data on key performance indicators.
3. User support
a. Manage the delivery of our IT and telephony services, either directly or through monitoring of established KPI’s with service providers, including both Application and user/desktop support.
b. Vendor management (including software licences): work with colleagues in procurement in securing value for money, taking into account security, inter-operability and service requirements.
4. Business continuity/ Disaster recovery
a. Maintain the highest levels of IT security, both on site and remote, ensuring uninterrupted business continuity
b. Work with COO and Financial Controller in developing Business Impact Analyses, system failover plans, system backup routines and hot site facilities.
c. Establish robust information and cybersecurity systems and process in accordance with recognised standards (e.g. ISO 27001, 27002, GDPR)
5. Risk analysis and management
a. To identify, manage and control potential risks associated with the IT operations.
b. Managing risk assessments and develop protocols for staff to reduce and manage risks appropriately.
• Worked within senior information technology role in start-up or small business environment
• A track record of delivering technology projects on time and on budget
• Experience analysing and identifying efficiency gaps in infrastructure and software
• Previous experience managing IT infrastructure (Firewalls and security, Office 365, MS Teams)
• Experience of the identification, management and mitigation of risks
• Education to degree level or equivalent
• System migration and business change management experience
• Flexible and adaptable approach
• Able to present ideas and solutions succinctly to relevant stakeholder
• A sound understanding of the application of applicable legislation and industry standards (e.g. GDPR)
In return we offer:
• 25 days holidays + additional time off over Christmas
• Generous pension scheme (employer’s contribution currently up to 18%)
• Training and development opportunities for staff at all levels
• Bus pass discount scheme
• Access to employee discount platform
• Subsidised canteen & free on-site parking, Campus location
Closing date: 17th March 2021 at 09:00am