We have a rare and exciting opportunity at RAL Space for an experienced machinist with CNC and manual machining expertise to join a team that delivers parts precision machined to some of the highest standards achievable.
CNC Precision Machinist
Salary: £31,931 – 34,709 pa plus an annual allowance of up to £2,000 (depending on experience)
We have a rare and exciting opportunity at RAL Space for an experienced machinist with CNC and manual machining expertise to join a team that delivers parts precision machined to some of the highest standards achievable. Your output will support state of the art instrumentation for major international instrumentation projects for the European Space Agency, European Southern Observatory and other leading national and international institutions and customers.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest multi-disciplinary science research organisations. Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Space department, RAL Space, has around 350 staff and carries out an exciting range of world-class space research and technology development. RAL Space has had significant involvement in over 200 space missions and operates at the forefront of UK space research.
The Precision Development Facility in the RAL Space Millimetre-wave Technology Group manufacture components for an amazing diversity of fields, including some which are currently travelling through space on a comet, or part of highly complex instrumentation required for the next generation of Earth observation instruments.
· The role is suited to CNC machinists who have experience in supporting the space sector or an equivalently demanding industry, who have an interest in engineering for space
· A prerequisite is attention to detail and dexterity in handling precision miniature components as well as an ability to seek improvement and accept change
· You will be highly motivated, flexible in attitude and have a methodical and careful approach to the work and an ability to follow procedural steps, in some cases to ISO 9001
· You must be customer focused and possess an ability to work safely, both independently and as part of a team, and have the interpersonal skills to organize and communicate work effectively with a range of customers, colleagues and management
Main duties include:
· To play a crucial role in the precision manufacture of components and to offer short turnaround time support in the manufacture of experimental critical flight and ground based hardware
· To undertake and develop novel machining processes, supporting scientists and engineers to deliver on demanding project requirements
· The assembly and inspection of miniature devices using optical microscopes, non-contact measuring machines and a touch probe coordinate measuring machine
· Design and improvement of tooling aids and fixtures
We are offering a permanent position that provides a whole host of family friendly benefits including; 30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent defined average salary pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance.
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
How to apply:
For full details of this post, please click the apply button.
Closing Date: 24th May 2021