Develop your career in survey and alignment at one of the world’s most advanced scientific facilities.
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to ensure an excellent work/life balance including 25 days’ annual leave, 13 days statutory and company holidays, flexible working hours, an onsite nursery and restaurant, an excellent pension scheme, and social and sporting activities.
About the Role
We now have an excellent opportunity for a Survey Technician to join our Survey and Alignment Team to help with component inspection and final alignment.
The Diamond synchrotron consists of advanced engineering components that are used to accelerate electrons and generate high intensity X-rays. Many of these components must be manufactured and positioned to very tight tolerances. We use state of the art laser trackers capable of sub-millimetre measurement accuracies to align their position, but we also need to verify components are manufactured and assembled to the required accuracy before installation.
This role may suit somebody with a manufacturing background looking to move into survey and alignment, or perhaps someone with a background in inspection aiming to expand their skills using state of the art laser trackers.
You should hold an engineering apprenticeship with an HNC or HND (or equivalent) level technical qualification or demonstrate equivalent working experience.
You should demonstrate practical experience of precision component inspection, with a working knowledge of engineering drawings, and computing skills in Word and Excel.
Knowledge or experience in any of the following areas is desirable:
• Application of survey/industrial measurement techniques;
• Work Planning and Safe Systems of work;
• Machining and manufacturing techniques;
• QC/QA systems;
• 3D CAD software.
Responsibilities will include:
· Carrying out metrology and inspection tasks on engineering components using a range of measurement instruments;
· Setting out geometric reference datum points for accelerator and beam line installation;
· Carrying out dimensional surveys of the diamond survey network to enable best fit adjustments to be computed;
· Surveying and adjusting the position of accelerator and beam line components during installation to ensure alignment tolerances are achieved;
· Carrying out pre-alignment tasks on accelerator and beam line components using 3-dimensional measuring systems;
· Following and completing work procedures and producing inspection reports;
· Carrying out routine survey and alignment functions during shutdown periods to ensure operational parameters are maintained.
The role will involve carrying out optical survey measurements, carrying and setting up heavy equipment around the facility, and accessing awkward locations requiring bending, climbing and working from ladders.