Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
Diamond is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the UK at the forefront of scientific research.
For more information on Engineering careers within Diamond you may wish to watch one of our videos - https://vimeo.com/265782662
We are looking for some who is a practical technician with the skills to support installation, maintenance and development activities of the Diamond Accelerator Engineering Team.
• Be competent in modifying or making small parts or tooling aids using standard workshop tools.
• Be able to inspect and measure components using workshop tools, experience in using Coordinate measuring machines is not required.
• Be familiar with installation of high-pressure piping using compression fittings.
• Be able to sketch out by hand and clearly communicate your ideas to the team.
• Be able to read written instructions, including mechanical assembly and part drawings and understand the tolerances stated and how they can be achieved.
• Have an appreciation of lifting and slinging and the safety issues when installing heavy complex equipment.
• Have a basic understanding of electrical engineering and able carry out assembly and testing of low voltage electrical works under supervision.
Full training will be given on all aspects of the specialist activities of the group so no experience of Diamond or similar facilities is required, but you should have the foundation skills that often comes from following an engineering apprenticeship scheme.
About the Role
We now have an opportunity for an Engineering Technician within the Diamond Accelerators Engineering Group. The Diamond Accelerators are the heart of the Diamond facility, combining to generating the brilliant light that is used in the experiments.
The successful candidate will integrate in an experienced team of highly skilled mechanical and electrical technicians supporting the installation, commissioning, and testing of equipment associated with the Linac, Booster, Storage Ring and Beamline Front ends. He/she will help maintain and modify the existing equipment and assist in the design review process of new equipment and upgrades. He/she will need to ensure that all work is carried out in a safe manner, and that the equipment is appropriately integrated and installed to the agreed procedures.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Carrying out inspection of manufactured items and assemblies to drawings.
- Carrying out fault finding, repairs and maintenance of the accelerator systems.
Some flexibility over working hours will be required during periods of intense activity, and occasional local travel may be required.