An exciting opportunity for a Senior Electrician to join our Estates services. You will play a key part in carrying out planned and reactive maintenance duties to sustain and improve electrical systems and services to support STFC’s world-class scientific programme.
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Oxfordshire
£30,782 - £35,459 (dependent on experience and inclusive of an annual allowance)
The Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). UKRI is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
STFC is responsible for supporting, co-ordinating and promoting research, innovation and skills development. Our uniqueness lies in the breadth of our remit and the sheer diversity of our portfolio, as we harness our world-leading expertise, facilities and resources to drive science and technology forward.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Electrician to join our Estates services.
You will play a key part in carrying out planned and reactive maintenance duties to sustain and improve electrical systems and services to support STFC’s world-class scientific programme.
The role is responsible for undertaking the efficient and effective day-to-day execution of maintenance activities relating to the electrical services and assets at the three STFC sites, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Harwell) and occasionally The Cosener’s House (Abingdon) & Chilbolton Observatory (Hampshire).
The list of duties will include, but are not limited to:
- the operation, maintenance and enhancement of the estates electrical services and distribution network (lighting and emergency lighting/general power 230-400V/fire alarms and other wired SELV services)
- interpretation and practical application of electrical installation drawings, schematics and specifications
- the planning and installation of a wide and varied range of wiring system types, in diverse locations and environments
- organising the purchasing of materials and planning of works with other trades and client representatives
- carry out isolations and testing on the fire alarm and emergency lighting systems, along with minor fault investigation, upgrades, and repairs
- undertake an active role in site services condition surveys and where required, formal inspection, testing and verification of electrical systems (additional training and qualifications maybe required)
- take on additional authorised person responsibilities as required (isolations and permits HV/LV/lift/fire alarm works etc.)
- ensuring that all work carried out on STFC’s estate is completed in an effective and professional manner, and that all current safety and technical legislation is adhered to, including:
- assess risk assessments and method statements (produced for in-house staff)
- safe systems of work (permits/isolation procedures/hot works/testing and re-commissioning).
You will hold a City & Guilds 2330 level 2 and 3 (or an NVQ accredited equivalent) in a practical electrical engineering discipline.
You will have a high level of skill and experience in the installation and design of metal containment and other commercial/industrial type wiring systems.
Proven experience of fault finding in electrical plant and distribution systems is essential.
You will also have proven experience in the building services industry as well as knowledge of safety legislation.
IPAF and PASMA trained whilst not essential would be beneficial.
What we offer
An exceptional index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexible working are offered, as well as an onsite nursery, subsidised restaurant, gym and sports facilities.
Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please visit our job board at https://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc253698_10642.aspx. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
The closing date for applications is 5th June 2020, however, we encourage early applications as some candidates may be interviewed before this date.