Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Engineering at Diamond enables our scientists use synchrotron light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
Diamond is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the UK at the forefront of scientific research.
Suitable candidates should be qualified to degree level in Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics or demonstrate equivalent working experience.
All candidates should demonstrate significant experience in mechanical engineering, with excellent working knowledge of engineering drawings, along with experience in designing complex mechanisms and structures ranging from small devices with nanometre resolution to much larger fabricated structures.
You will also have experience in the design of precision motion systems, understanding of structural integrity and strength of materials, and knowledge and understanding of different manufacturing techniques and their applications.
You will display excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact with scientists, fellow engineers and stakeholders.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Diamond is a thriving international organisation, attracting a diverse range of talented individuals from around the world. Our staff currently comprises 39 nationalities and we welcome applications from everyone interested in joining us.
About the Role
We now have several opportunities for experienced Mechanical Design Engineers to join our Engineering team in the development of innovative equipment that enables world class scientific research to take place at Diamond.
The Engineering team plays a key role in the design, development and construction of the Accelerators and Beamlines that generate and transport light to the scientific samples.
The role is responsible for:
· Working closely with internal and external scientific and engineering staff to produce mechanical designs for projects.
· Applying knowledge of thermal design in the management of heat loads on actively cooled components.
· Using CAE design tools such as AutoCAD and Creo to produce engineering information, such as 3D models, assembly drawings and detailed manufacturing drawings.
· Applying Geometric Tolerances and dimensions in the production of detailed manufacturing information.
· Using simulation and analysis, in order to verify engineering designs.
· Preparation of technical information in support of procurement activities.
· Contributing to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises.
· Maintaining and updating engineering drawings and documentations on projects.
Occasional travel will be required.