We now have a new opportunity for a skilled and experienced Functional Safety Engineer to carry out the full life cycle of delivery of a high integrity personnel safety system to protect people from the radiation hazards produced from the Diamond synchrotron. This will be from initial selection of suitable hardware, conceptual design, detailed design, commissioning and acceptance, then ongoing support.
You will also provide creative, innovative and adaptive expert input to the specification and design of new beamline personnel safety systems.
Diamond is planning a major upgrade of the facility, known as Diamond-II, which will generate an even more brilliant light source at a higher energy. This role will play a significant part in contributing to the upgrade.
This opportunity is as either a Functional Safety Engineer or Senior Functional Safety Engineer depending on the strength of applicant’s skills, experience and qualifications. Depending upon the appointment level, further responsibilities will include some or all of the following:
- Investigate replacement Safety system solutions for new Beamlines for Diamond-II;
- Lead the specification of safety logic to ensure protection from hazards;
- Apply technical know-how on active safety systems;
- Manage stakeholders through all stages of the project Safety Systems life cycle;
- Undertake statistical analysis of the installed Safety System;
- Project manage work-packages related to Safety System by external suppliers including preparation of tenders and service level agreements;
- Line management for contractors to support Safety System design, installation, commissioning & periodic testing;
- Carry out training in understanding and meeting the safety requirements for applications that include Lasers and Robots and selection of suitable safety solutions.