Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a huge scientific facility designed to produce very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
Diamond is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the UK at the forefront of scientific research.
About the Role
We now have an excellent opportunity for a recent Graduate to join us as a Mechanical Design Engineer or Designer within the Diamond Beamline Systems Engineering team, contributing to the development of innovative equipment that enables World Class Scientific Research to take place at Diamond.
The Beamline Systems Engineering team plays a key role in the design, development and construction of the Beamlines that transport light from the electron accelerator to the scientific sample. The Beamlines consist of optical elements and sample environments that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems operating in Ultra High Vacuum environments and often at cryogenic temperatures.
Responsibilities will include:
· Working closely with internal engineering staff interpreting 3D CAD models to produce mechanical detail designs for projects.
· Developing and applying expertise in technologies including ultra high vacuum systems, stable support structures, precision mechanisms, cryogenics and the general detailing of scientific equipment and plant.
· Producing layouts, assembly drawings and detailed manufacturing drawings employing AutoCAD and Pro-Engineer software.
· Assisting with procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers.
· Contributing to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises.
· Maintaining and updating engineering drawings and other documentation on projects.
We are seeking candidates who have already graduated in an engineering discipline.
You should have experience in designing complex mechanisms and structures ranging from small devices with nanometer resolution to much larger fabricated structures; as well as skills and experience in some of the following:
· 3D and 2D CAD particularly CREO and AUTOCAD;
· Design of precision mechanisms;
· Design Ultra High Vacuum vessels;
· Design of Systems operating at Cryogenic temperatures;
· Design for and Use of Additive manufacturing;
· Design of high stiffness low vibration structures;
· Use of novel materials.
You should enjoy interaction with leading scientists, have an excellent grasp of engineering principles and an interest in mechatronic systems.