The Rosalind Franklin Institute is a new national Research Centre, funded by the UK government through UK Research and Innovation, dedicated to bringing about transformative changes in life science through interdisciplinary research and technology.
The Rosalind Franklin Institute is working in close collaboration with FEI and Diamond Light Source to deliver next generation of equipment dedicated to a fully integrated pipeline for electron tomography. The project involves sample preparation for cryo-ET, including focused ion beam milling, a good understanding of electron tomography data acquisition and interpretation is required. This is to develop scientific projects which would provide methods and demonstration of the use of such pipeline to the scientific community. Every step of the pipeline represents in itself an improvement to the actual workflow and therefore will require a talented and dedicated scientist.
• report to the manager progress on the different scientific projects
• provide documentation to support funding and report to the stakeholders
• accurately compare different approaches to working procedures
• Sample preparation for cryo-EM
• PhD in structural biology, cell biology or equivalent
• Excellent knowledge of sample preparation for cryo-EM
• Excellent knowledge of tomography including data acquisition, processing and interpretation.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to effectively and frequently report on progress
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
• Experience of working in BSL2 laboratory
• Knowledge of correlative microscopy
In return we offer
• 25 days holidays
• Generous pension scheme (employer’s contribution currently up to 18%)
• Training and development opportunities for staff at all levels
• Bus pass discount scheme
• Access to employee discount platform
• Subsidised canteen
• Free on-site parking
• Campus location in beautiful countryside with social and sports clubs open to staff
Closing date: 3rd March 2020, 9:00am