In order to support The European Space Agency Business Incubation Centre United Kingdom (ESA BIC UK) and STFC’s other incubation activities, a vacancy has now arisen for a Business Incubation Support Officer.
Business Incubation Support Officer
Location: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Oxfordshire
Salary: £31,305 - £34,028 dependent upon qualifications and experience
Duration: Open Ended
Hours: Full Time
About the role
In order to support The European Space Agency Business Incubation Centre United Kingdom (ESA BIC UK) and STFC’s other incubation activities, a vacancy has now arisen for a Business Incubation Support Officer. Within this role, you will be a key member of the Business Incubation Support Team, which includes both incubation management and admin support teams. This role is primarily focused on administration, contractual and financial support. You will work closely with the Business Incubation Support Manager at Daresbury and the ESA BIC UK Operations Manager at Harwell to support them in their role as the primary operational interface on innovation and business incubation issues.
This role has a broad spectrum of responsibilities across incubation programmes, with the primary role being to support in the following critical tasks:
· Fulfilling the contractual obligations of the ESA BIC through high-quality administration, record keeping and reporting, including financial reporting and preparation of ESA BIC contracts.
· Supporting the BIC companies to ensure they maximise their exploitation of ESA BIC opportunities including Business and Technical support and networking events.
· Assist in organisation of formal meetings including Tender Evaluation Board, Negotiation meetings and Stakeholders meetings and follow on actions.
· Support in the input and organisation of BIC company review meetings. Take and follow up on the action points in these meetings, review reports, check expenditure and trigger payments.
· Support the Business Incubation Support Manager in financial processes including the production of Incentive payments cost reports for ESA, profiling of internal budgets for incentive payments to companies. Contribute to budgets and budget forecasts for both expenditure and income. Process invoices for significant funds i.e. Management fees from ESA.
We are looking for someone who is educated to degree level in a business focused discipline, or has equivalent experience in a relevant role. You will be experienced in keeping records, writing minutes and reports and have a strong attention to detail when preparing these written documents. You will also have background experience in financial processes, such as budgeting and forecasting, and you will have experience of procurement and raising invoices. Accuracy is essential in this role as you will be processing invoices for significant sums of money.
In addition to the above, you will also have excellent communication skills and be comfortable in liaising with individuals at all levels of seniority. You will have strong team working and collaboration skills and be able to demonstrate your ability in building and maintaining productive working relationships.
STFC delivers business incubation through a coordinated programme of initiatives covering a broad variety of science and technology sectors. The European Space Agency Business Incubation Centre United Kingdom (ESA BIC UK) works alongside the STFC CERN BIC, the ESA Business Applications Regional Ambassador, the three Innovation Technology Access Centres (ITACs) and the Campus Technology Hub to deliver a broad range of business incubation facilities.
The ESA BIC UK is part of ESA’s Europe-wide network of technology transfer and business incubation activities and is managed and delivered by STFC through a contract with ESA. It is an exciting initiative which is at the core of STFC’s programme and has three locations, at Harwell Campus, Daresbury Laboratory and the Higgs Innovation Centre at the Royal Observatory Edinburgh. It is dedicated to the support and acceleration of new and early-years companies which are focused on exploiting space technologies for new commercial applications or developing technologies for use in space. The BIC has a ten-year track record of success in developing high-technology business. It has already developed beyond its initial base at Harwell and in 2020 has expanded the number of locations to four through a partnership with the University of Leicester.
As part of UK Research and Innovation, STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance. This includes 30 days’ annual leave, 10.5 public and privilege days, Christmas shut down, flexible working hours and an exceptional defined benefit pension scheme.
How to apply
Applicants are required to upload a CV and a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please click the apply button. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.