We are looking for a full-time Back-end Python Software Engineer to join our IT team on a permanent basis, assisting in and contributing to the development of the backend stack of our mobile/web applications platform for healthcare digital solutions.
We are looking for a full-time Back-end Python Software Engineer to join our IT team on a permanent basis, assisting in and contributing to the development of the backend stack of our mobile/web applications platform for healthcare digital solutions. The potential candidate will work in the back-end team, under the supervision of and liaising closely with the Lead Back-end Software Engineer and the IT Manager, there will be an opportunity to work with the front-end and R&D teams too.
Candidates should have a sound knowledge and experience of core Python, Git, and Linux, either via commercial experience and/or academic projects (on GitHub for example).
Support, mentoring and training will be provided.
All candidates will be evaluated fairly, on their merits and suitability for the role.
· Assisting in all aspects of back-end development, including design, development, implementation, testing, debugging and troubleshooting, documentation, under the supervision of and liaising closely with the Lead Back-end Software Engineer and the IT Manager;
· Collaborating closely with the Dev Ops Engineer, with the R&D team and with the Front-end SW development team as and when necessary;
· Keeping up to date with and learning emerging technologies of interest or relevance.
Skills & Experience:
The main technical requirements are a sound knowledge and experience of core Python (Python 3), Git and Linux:
• Python - a sound knowledge of and problem-solving experience with the core language; using Python runtime environments (basic Python interpreter and additionally iPython and/or Jupyter Notebook) and debugging errors; Python scripting; command line Python tools (mainly pip and virtualenv);
• Git – we are looking for someone who is comfortable with all the most commonly used Git operations (init, add, status, commit, log, branch, checkout, remote, push, pull, fetch, merge, stash);
• Linux command line – shells (e.g. Bash) and key command line tools (shell scripting is a bonus, like some understanding of the Linux kernel, services and OS architecture);
• Experience with Docker or Docker-compose.
These requirements can be met either via relevant commercial experience or academic programs/projects.
Candidates should enjoy analyzing and solving problems, plan and manage their own time and work effectively and efficiently, adapt to change, work as part of a team and be eligible to live and work in the UK.
Nice to have
Although not mandatory, we value candidates that possess or have experience with any of the following:
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or other STEM subjects;
• Big data models and file formats, such as NetCDF4, HDF5;
• Flask or Django web service frameworks, REST APIs;
• Docker containers;
• Python multiprocessing and/or concurrent programming;
• Pandas and/or Numpy;
• Cloud computing and/or storage services such as Azure and Azure Blob, AWS EC2 and AWS S3;
• Continuous integration (CI) technologies such as Azure Pipelines, Jenkins, Travis or Circle;
• Python testing tools and frameworks, e.g. Tox, Pytest, Coverage, Hypothesis;
• Sphinx or other Python documentation tools.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your CV (mandatory) and a Cover Letter (optional) to email@example.com for scheduling an informal discussion about the role.
CONTACTS: Donna Bowman, HR Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org