The Rosalind Franklin Institute is a new national institute, funded by the UK government through UK Research and Innovation, dedicated to bringing about transformative changes in life science through interdisciplinary research and technology development.
Our work is focused into complementary themes which together will produce technologies which allow us to see the biological world in new ways, from single molecules to entire systems. This insight will speed up drug design and development, and push forward our understanding of human health and disease.
We are based at the Harwell Campus in South Oxfordshire, with ‘spokes’ in our ten University Members around the UK.
We are looking for a communications and engagement officer who will work with our teams to deliver communications activities which will engage our stakeholders, the research community, and public audiences with our technologies and our research values.
This is an exciting time to join the Franklin team, with lots of partnerships, projects, and above all, exceptionally exciting science to communicate. We have a range of key audiences, including our funders, stakeholders, and the research community.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Culture, you will be working with researchers from the Franklin and its partners to produce communications content in a range of formats, and will be adaptable enough to enjoy working on everything from technical reports to public engagement materials and much in between.
- Deliver communications programmes in line with the communications strategy and activity plan
- Deliver regular updates on our technology and construction projects in a range of formats
- Create engaging content for the Franklin’s social media channels
- Update and take ownership of content on the Franklin website
- Assist with event management both at Harwell and other national venues
- Create newsletters for external and internal (Franklin researchers at spokes and hub) audiences
- Contribute to the delivery of public engagement activities
- Manage recording of communications activities, contact databases, and image libraries
- Work with the Head of Partnerships to produce marketing materials and designed content as needed
- Work with all teams at the Franklin to contribute to projects or activities as the need arises.
- Degree in a relevant science discipline, or in a communications relevant discipline with experience of working in science communication
- Ability to translate research and technology concepts in an engaging and audience appropriate manner
- Strong writing skills, with demonstrated ability to tailor content and style to audience
- Excellent presentation skills
- Commitment to personal development and training
- Highly organised, with experience of managing databases
- Ability to work collaboratively across diverse teams
- Experience of working across multiple parallel projects
- Science communication qualification
- Experience of using WordPress CMS
- Experience of creating multimedia content
- Experience of delivering public engagement activities
This role is advertised as full time, but flexible options are available. If you would like to discuss this role please contact Laura Holland, Director of Communications and Culture.