The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and technology. STFC’s RAL Space department carries out an exciting range of world-class space research and technology development. We’ve had significant involvement in over 210 space missions and operate at the forefront of UK Space Research.
STFC is one of nine partner organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance. This includes 30 days’ annual leave, 10.5 public and privilege days, Christmas shut down, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, an exceptional defined benefit pension scheme, and social and sporting activities and societies.
About the Role
We have a new opportunity for a Product Assurance Team Leader (known as Product Assurance Group Leader internally) to join our Assurance and Business Operations Division in RAL Space. This is a key role leading a group of Product Assurance Specialists who manage Product Assurance on our projects to develop space hardware.
Reporting in to the Division Head you will have responsibility for:
- Leadership, recruitment and development of the group as well as budgetary management.
- Establishing policies, processes and procedures for the group, collaborating in particular with the other groups in the ABO division to deliver an effective assurance framework for the department.
- Product Assurance responsibility for one or more projects, acting as the formal point of contact with the customer and supplier chain on all product assurance matters including:
o Material and process control
o Conformance control
o Incoming and outgoing inspection
o Supporting and auditing suppliers
o Receipt and delivery of End Item Data Packages to accompany delivered items
- Managing the department’s team of ESA-certified inspectors of electronic assemblies.
- Providing advice and training on product assurance to group members and the wider department.
- Acting as Deputy Division Head for the ABO Division when necessary
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent with a strong record of Professional Development. You will have substantial experience of product assurance in compliance with the ECSS set of standards, and a good understanding of the physical and engineering challenges of developing hardware for space. Excellent communication skills are essential, both written and oral, plus experience in managing teams and budgets. Experience of working in accordance with the requirements of ISO 9001 and EN 9100 would be desirable, as would experience with toolsets commonly used in the European space industry.
How to apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please visit our job board at http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc249715_9615.aspx. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.